Friday, 16 April 2010

DAILY POEM "PRIMARY SCHOOL DAYS"


It was hard growing up in the seventies
when money wasn't forthcoming or spare
there were no packed lunches like they have today
and a sandwich was really quite rare.

Our House was behind our Primary school
and at break we would shout out loud
no one was scared in those old days
to shout all over the crowd.

The din was astonishingly chaotic
as you tried to be heard from afar
your were hoping to see mom at the window
holding a red jam jar.

It was toast on jam for mid day break
and mom would walk over with it
and if you gave her a scalding for being late
you could bet that you would get hit.

Free school milk as cold as ice
was another tasty treat
only made cold because of the winter
ice cold which nothing could beat.

At lunch time we went to school dinners
a wholesome meal was had
you would sit at the table and wait for the meal
which wasn't really bad.

Teachers were strict and had respect
you were more scared of them than your folks
but during the day you always got them back
with your practical jokes.

Those days didn't do us any harm
adults were given respect
children were poor but well loved
and you rarely heard of neglect.

How often do you think back to when you were at Primary school? the days when everything was a learning curve, were you made your mark, made friends, had fun just as young people should be doing, naturally its different these days at to the sixties and seventies, however school is school and we all have memories of it.
This poem goes back in time to the days of my Primary best years of my life.

Did you like Primary school? what was the highlight for you?

Posted for AMY and the Petersons family friday, please pop over to the other posters to read their work, or why not join in :)



Please checkout BLOG PROMOTIONS
Please checkout SHORT STORIES

34 comments:

  1. primary school was fun...it was like being surrounded in friends, before everyone became more concerned with themselves. nice one william!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one is soft, tender and beautiful. just loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks william for sharing such sweet memories .A nostalgic look at early school days.well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun thinking back on those days. We use to get breakfast at school and all my friends and I would just sit there and talk and have a great time before school would start. It was a fun way to start our days.. I think that was my favorite school years.. I know high school is suppose to be but it had it's up's and down's.. Thanks my friend for joining in.. I love reading what you write..

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol thanks mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. pleasure having u here as always friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, happy days, I was the same Amy, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this.I have forgotten all about the free cold milk.
    I truly love my primary school days better than my high school.
    Been missing you , William.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah happy days, I will be over later dear, never fear, william is here xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hhmmm... i remember kindergarten.... i was the teacher's pet... i was always the teacher's pet, all through primary and high school... :) but the friends in elementary was great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember those days as being very fun and very educational for me. I spoke Italian as my first language, so I had to really pay attention. I had no problem making friends and keeping them.

    Nice poem.

    William...you may want to stop by at STARLA'S party. She has a blog that I think you should look at. You may want to promote it on your other wonderful blog. You are sooo kubd.
    Oh, she has lot's of beer for you!
    lol
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Primary school! It was so simple! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  13. what quality post for Family Fridays!
    love the innocent smiles in the faces of kids...

    amazing poem!
    a big winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SURE, will do, thanks Luisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. me too thanks Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet u were lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/finally-poetry-awards-for-poets-rally-week-14/

    too busy with poets posts,
    sorry for being late.
    best wishes!
    check out your awards...
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. u are very kind, Ji Will be over soon, to read all your remarkable posts xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, the good days for sure..
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  20. No hurry dear, my awards are up xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, here we go again for the 15th times today. LOL I love those good old days. I remember the cold potatoes between biscuits with fresh cow's milk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok Billy, I am going to log out , come back and do the steps again to see if it goes through again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HOORAH FOR APPLE PIE, SHE DID IT XXX

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW a winner! Got through twice in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  25. U ROCK VI XXX WELL DONE DEAR KNEW THIS WOULDNT BEAT U XX

    ReplyDelete
  26. William,

    I'm not sure how I lost you but I lost you and Blogger won't let me add you back. I try to follow you through friend connect and it says I am but then you are not on my dashboard so IDK what is going on but I'm working on fixing it.

    One other thing, this comment form is Disqus lol mine is IntenseDebate but I appreciate the thought :)

    Have a nice evening,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. That took me back. I remember primary school just like it was yesterday! I used to love getting chocolate milk at school! It still reminds me of being a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh man those were easier days and I have some found and not so found memories about back then. Thankfully Cole goes to a small Christian school that helps and he doesn't have to encounter some of the problems I had. But then you have a whole different can of worms you must deal with. Times change and so do the problems that go with it I guess. Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice to see u mom, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Billy

    John 3:16 For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes we did, we are sooooooooooo smart!

    John 3:16 For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish I had had all the extra's the kids have now. Except I can still find all that, now, in the library, and no one yells at me. lol! I love your poems. Well done!
    Gerardine xx

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to register to leave a comment, simply click the drop down box for anonymous... the comment will go through, or why not Subscribe! Thanks a million for leaving a comment
PLEASE NOTE COMMENTS WILL SHOW UP AFTER APPROVAL.
your reviews of my work are deeply appreciated, please come visit again..:)
,