Tuesday, 19 January 2010

DAILY POEM "BREAST CANCER"

She lay in bed crying, tears flowing free
I awoke and saw her fear
Why did this happen to me she said
Whilst wiping a flowing tear.

She caressed her breast with passion
Fondling every inch
Tears flooding her body
Asking me to pinch.

I asked her why fear in tow
She turned to me in fright
You have to see this lump I have
Turn on the bedroom light.

The fear got worse upon her face
So tragic at this age
I sat her up and held her tight
In a blinding nervous rage.

To hospital we would go
Tests with full of pain
Sunshine gone darkness falls
Pouring with the rain.

The doctor came his face so sullen
My dearest knew the score
Silence rife in the waiting room
She couldn’t take anymore.

The doctor took me to the side
Desperation in his face
I am afraid your wife has cancer
My sorrow stayed in place.

An operation she will need
To save her very life.
WHY DID THIS HORROR HAPPEN TO HER?
My dearest loving wife.

Six months on she has been cleared
Our lives are normal once more
Recovered full of life again
God spared my darling Delore.

To those who suffer in silence
seek help right away
check yourself thouroughly
it could be YOU one day.

Checks are essential to fight this dread
no one can do it but you
the heartache and the misery
is real and can accrue.

A few years back when I was married my ex wife felt a lump on her breast, she had not long given birth to my daughter, she was petrified as all women would be finding a lump anywhere but especially on the chest, we made an appointment right aqway, she undergone tests and lucky for us the lump was a cyst which was removed by medication.The trauma and fear she went through was real and it also affected me because this happenign so soon after her giving birth gave off all sorts of alarm, this poem does not relate to her, but can and wil relate to millions of women worldwide who have went through the terror of this and alas the news was not good.

Do you know anyone who has gone through this ordeal? what was the outcome? it also affects the guys so let me know how you felt...

15 comments:

  1. This must have been one of those poems that was hard to write, as it brings out the emotions you felt when you were there with your ex. Thank you for sharing, I know it must have been tough xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing,
    I heard people saying that, a woman who has given birth to babies will less likely having breast cancer, not sure about medical research result?

    I don't know anyone in family who has this, thus hard to tell...

    best wishes for your ex wife's suffering,
    as long as you care, you share, you will get
    better ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem goes right to my emotions because my mother had breast cancer. I also had a friend who had breast cancer. I pray that one day they will find a cure for all cancer. Thank you Billy, for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi William,

    Yes it's very scary. I'm glad your ex was okay.
    This is a very thought provoking poem. It's good for people to be aware of their own bodies. Doctors are only human and make mistakes but sometimes those mistakes kill people. We live in our bodies and we know when something is wrong. The more people talk about this stuff the better it is for our health. Fear can sometimes kill as surely as the disease if we're not aware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY MOTHER FOUND A LUMP AND IGNORED IT.AFTER A MASECTOMY IT WAS FOUND IN HER LIVER. SHE HAS BEEN GONE FOR 27 YEARS NOW.SO SAD AND SO YOUNG JUST 53.
    HER 10 KIDS ,MANY GRANDKIDS, AND GREAT KIDS MISS HER EVERYDAY.
    DON'T WAIT,DON'T DRINK, DON'T SMOKE

    maflongfellow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad :( and yes, I've lost a couple family members to breast cancer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know many women who have gone through this. My friends Mom and she is fine. My Mother in Law I did not know her at the time when she had this happen but she is now fine. It is pretty scary. My great grandmother too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sad. i have seen too many..shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poem is very moving.

    At age 42, nearly 6 years ago, after undergoing an excisional biopsy, I learned I had lobular cancer, a form of breast cancer that approx 10% of breast cancer patients get. The scary part is that lobular is VERY DIFFICULT TO DETECT on a mammo or a sono. I had felt a lump over two years earlier, but a sono did not pick it up. I was unaware of this kind of BC that isn't easy to detect. It wasn't until three tumors grew so large (5.5 cm mass, 3 cm, and 2 cm ) that they were finally detected on a mammo. I had a mastectomy, 24 lymph nodes removed, and I underwent reconstruction. I had chemo & radiation.

    I am so grateful to be alive. I am one of the lucky ones - I survived. I've lost several friends to this disease, who have left behind very young children.

    Three years after diagnosis, I decided to retire from my job as a police officer (I had 21 years on the job) and spend more time with my family, and pursue my dream of writing full-time. I'm living a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    I have someone written a post related to breast cancer, please visit for a share.

    check her out at

    http://thepriceoflove.net/2010/01/19/chapter-32-part-4/
    wishing you an unbeatable day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to this poem -- unfortunately I know the territory all too well.

    Best wishes from London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister had breast cancer just finished here chemo treatment so far so good. TQ nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very scary subject for everyone. I know women who won’t go to the doctor because they are afraid of the outcome. Breast cancer can’t be ignored. I have known women over the years that died. But lately the newly diagnosed are surviving.

    Wonderful advice in your poem:
    “Checks are essential to fight this dread
    no one can do it but you
    the heartache and the misery
    is real and can accrue.”

    Cancer - just that word can be scary. I have survived cancer twice- not breast cancer. Wonderful poem, with a very important message! Thank you for posting this.

    Gerardine Baugh

    ReplyDelete
  14. its horrible for all parties when this happens, thanks friends for your kind input, lets get the message out..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for helping to get the message out in such a beautiful and melodic way.

    I too am a breast cancer survivor. Many of my poems focus on what it means to be surviving.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to register to leave a comment, simply click the drop down box for anonymous... the comment will go through, or why not Subscribe! Thanks a million for leaving a comment
PLEASE NOTE COMMENTS WILL SHOW UP AFTER APPROVAL.
your reviews of my work are deeply appreciated, please come visit again..:)
,