Thursday, 14 January 2010

DAILY POEM "FOSTERED"

Why was I brought to
This strangest of place
Where’s, mom and dad
And little sister grace?

Where did they go?
I was playing outside
The lady she grabbed me
Right off the new slide.

She said come with me
Her face was ashen
I tried to run
But got a bashin’.

She yelled and roared
Her face flaming red
You’re getting no supper
Just get into bed.

I lay there frozen
Tensed with fear
Drowning my sniffles
wiping a tear.

I heard yelling voices
Coming from below
I heard someone saying
He will have to go.

And then to my horror
Whilst lying in bed
I heard them all saying
My mom and dad are dead.

They died in a car smash
Baby sister too
My face filled with terror
What will I do?

The funeral was sad
Everyone was there
Uncles and aunts
And even cousin Cher.

I am in a foster home
With no one I know
Perhaps I will pray for
My soul to now go.

Why can't my aunts
take me away?
they are flesh and blood
at the end of the day.

I would love my cousins
like I did little sis
be a good boy for sure
if I'm around certian bliss.

Do I have to stay here
with people who are not fair
how did they get to have me
if they really do not care?


I miss you mom
And dad you too
Baby sister grace
I will always love you.

When I worked for the Children's panel in Edinurgh around 2003, we had many cases with kids being fostered, through tragedy or their parents no longer able to care for them. Some were only temp fostered while others were permanently fostered, some of the kids did not get along with the foster carers and vice versa, meaning the foster carers couldn't cope with the high maintenance of the child, this resulted in animosity or even the child running away, fortunatley this was rare but it did happen, This story is told from the CHILD'S point of view and does not represent the majority of wonderful carers in this World, to them I take my hat off.

Do you know of anyone who has been fostered? or has difficulties in foster care? or have you yourself fostered kids? I would love to hear from you.

8 comments:

  1. I have known many people who are froster parents. I have friends who has been froster parents for many years. They are a loving and caring couple who treats the kids as if they are their own. Most of the time when a child comes to live with them they are there until they turn 18 years of age. Most of their froster kids come to live with them at a very young age so you can see how special they are. However, not all of their froster kids grows up to be good adults, many of them end up in jail, no matter how hard my friends tried to give them a stable and loving home. Very good poem, Billy and I am glad that you did point out there are a lot of loving and caring froster parents as well as those who are just in for it for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad William, but again hits the nail on the head.

    Beth
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I am very lucky. I did not have to go into foster care at all. I did have friends who were adopted and listen to their stories. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lively capture of lives of those troubled home and the suffering of the innocent kids.

    thank you for the magical wand,
    your poem is easy to follow and read.


    I was doing a Thursday Poets' Rally, if you are interested in joining in, please comment under
    Call For Thursday Poets Rally to get your link going orange. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. over 50% of the kids i counsel are fosters. some good parents, some make me cringe. some kids adjust, some kids...sad really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEAR BILLY,
    I ENJOYED THIS POEM WRITTEN AS THOUGH THE CHILD WAS WRITING IT. I HADN'T THOUGHT OF THIS FOR YEARS, BUT MY MOM AND DAD HAD A FOSTER CHILD. HER NAME WAS ALICE. SHE WAS AROUND MY AGE, AND I LIKED HAVING A SISTER WITH ME WHEN I WAS 11 AND ALL MY SIBLINGS WERE MARRIED. I LIKED HER BUT SHE WAS A BIT ON THE WILD SIDE AND MAMA WAS WORRIED IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR ME. WE HAD HER A FEW YEARS THOUGH AND THEN SHE MOVED TO ANOTHER HOME NORTH OF US. I THINK SHE LIVED A GOOD LIFE WITH US BUT SHE SEEMED TO LIKE THE NEW FOSTER HOME, TOO. I REMEMBER SHE WAS BLONDE AND FUN TO BE WITH...WE WERE ONLY A FEW MONTHS APART. I COULD FEEL THAT SHE MISSED HER PARENTS WHO HAD DIED IN A CAR CRASH AND WAS GLAD SHE WAS WITH US BUT IT'S STRANGE I DIDN'T KEEP IN TOUCH WITH HER...PROBABLY BECAUSE AFTER MY MARRIAGE, WE MOVED TO IL. BUT MY SISTER LAURA KEPT IN TOUCH WITH HER. THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS MOVING POEM...IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES AND THE REMEMBRANCE OF ALICE.
    BLESSINGS AND LOVE,
    HELEN XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello William I truly enjoyed your poem and it is so sad for the children that cannot adjust,but thank God for those that have made it and for the concerned caregivers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi friends, your input was tremendous here, we all feel so badly about kids who are placed in new homes, but we have to remember there are a lot of success stories..

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to register to leave a comment, simply click the drop down box for anonymous... the comment will go through, or why not Subscribe! Thanks a million for leaving a comment
PLEASE NOTE COMMENTS WILL SHOW UP AFTER APPROVAL.
your reviews of my work are deeply appreciated, please come visit again..:)
,